Your Site Specific Chemical Hygiene Plan
The Laboratory Safety Manual (LSM) is part of what the Washington State Department of Safety and Health (DOSH) refers to as a “Chemical Hygiene Plan” (CHP) in WAC 296-828, AKA the ‘Lab Standard’.
WAC 296-828 outlines the requirements of the CHP for all laboratories using hazardous chemicals.
In order to comply with the regulations additional laboratory-specific information must be added to WSU’s Laboratory Safety Manual. EH&S has created a MS WORD formatted CHP Site Specific Plan to assist you with this process.
Here are some ideas to help you make the most of your LSM.
- Ensure there is easy access to the LSM for everyone that works or enters the laboratory.
- Bookmark the electronic PDF version of the LSM on the EH&S website at http://www.ehs.wsu.edu/LSM/wsulsmhome.asp and use the CHP Site Specific guide provided here in an electronic format to create your lab-specific CHP.
- Alternatively, add a paper copy of the guide to the front of your Red LSM binder and ensure it is in an easily identified location.
- Familiarize yourself with the Table of Contents of the LSM. It will help you to be able to identify potential hazards that may need to be addressed or information that will help your laboratory run safely and efficiently.
- Complete the 8 page CHP Site Specific Plan that designates individuals responsible for certain activities.
- Transfer lab-specific information or resources from your previous CHP into Section VI in the back of the manual.
- Ensure you are using the most current version of the Laboratory Safety Manual.
If you have any questions regarding chemicals, safety or your initial laboratory set up, see our Contact Page